Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Yikes!

I lost a day in the long weekend at home.  It was nice to have an extra day without work, commuting, etc. even though it was incredibly warm.  Very hot weather is not my favorite; I tend to hibernate indoors when it gets too warm.  My lack of heat tolerance seems to have increased since I went through two full hot summers while pregnant... the bad luck of having fall due dates.  We did end up going to see Toy Story 3, and luckily I had bought our tickets online on Sunday, because the show was sold out when we got there.  Since we are never early for anything these days, while we did get to the theater before the show started, we were relegated to sitting in the second row.  It wasn't as bothersome as I had anticipated, though.  The girls were delighted by the movie and Jim and I really enjoyed it as well.  I did cry at the end, as many other parents have mentioned doing... whenever I think ahead to when the girls will leave for college it makes me really sad.  It's a natural part of life, having your children grow up and move out on their own, but it is still sad.  I remember how hard it was for me during my early days of college, and that feeling makes me more apprehensive for my girls, even though college is years away... and who knows, they might just go to school locally and live at home... and I might just want to kick them out by then... it could happen!  Rebecca has already told me that she doesn't want to go away for college.  This is her separation anxiety talking, but is still king of sweet to hear.  These are the moments I plan to cherish when she is a teenager and seems to hate me.

Rebecca had a softball game last night, so we all got to brave the heat to see her play.  Her grandparents came to see her play, so we sat in a row under the shade of a big tree while the girls played.  It's almost the end of their season and we can really see their improved skills.  Rebecca had two good hits and made a nice play at first base.  After the game, Grandpa invited us all out for ice cream.  I didn't think we would be able to go at first because as we left the field, Rebecca started complaining that she felt sick to her stomach.  I decided we should at least drive to the ice cream parlor and see how she felt then, after some time in the air-conditioned car.  She started to perk up in the parlor, and when she announced that she wanted cookie-dough ice cream I knew she was feeling better.  Grandma noted that she had drunk the entire juice box she received at the end of the game in record time, so she was probably feeling the effects of gulping down a lot of cold, sweet liquid when she was pretty hot.  I was relieved that she felt better because when she first started complaining about feeling poorly, I was a bit concerned that maybe she had heat stroke or something of that nature.

For once I went to bed right at 10:00, which is something I always intend to do, but never actually follow through on.  It was strange though... I had vivid dreams all night and so every hour or two, I woke up.  I was able to go right back to sleep, but why my sleep was so broken is a mystery to me.  My dreams didn't have any particular theme that I could discern, so I guess they were just indicative of the tangled mess that is my brain these days... too much to think about. 

No comments: