Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My sweet girl

First, thanks to you all for following me still... I am not the most consistent of bloggers, though I want to do this more often to stretch my creative muscles.  I appreciate the comments you leave for me.

Which leads me to number two - Sherri, you left a GENIUS idea in the comments on my last post.  Rebecca and I went to the Build A Bear Workshop web site last night and found this:  http://tinyurl.com/26aunj6 


Is that not the cutest?  It may be a little big for Froggy but we will make it work.  I ordered it online; even if the closest BABW has the outfit in stock, it would cost me the same in gas that they charged for shipping, plus the time it would take to go there and back.  AND... if I went in person with the girls, of course they would want to buy something(s)... hell, if I went alone I would want to buy stuff for them!  And money aside, the last thing we need in this house is More. Stuffed. Animals.  Rebecca is excited about the outfit; we will post a photo once it arrives and we suit up our friend Froggy.  Using Rebecca's camera that is; my camera decided to die this week.  Jim checked online and the repair cost is at least $100 through Canon, with no guarantee that I wouldn't get some other refurbished camera back.  So, I will be saving up for a new camera.  Wah.

Over the weekend Rebecca was really expressing a lot of upset about her surgery.  I asked her if she maybe wanted to talk to her guidance counselor at school, Mrs. E.  At the beginning of the school year, I contacted R's teachers and Mrs. E to give them the heads-up about my then upcoming HDIL-2 treatments.  Mrs. E has talked to R a few times since and been a great help to her.  I also suggested that maybe R would like to talk to the therapist I was seeing recently; at my therapist's suggestion, R came  with me to a session once to talk about how upset she would get if I went somewhere without her (like date night with Jim, to a store by myself, etc.)  Rebecca said she'd like to talk with Mrs. E and decided to write her a note.  I wish I had scanned it before she took it to school.  It was cute - she told Mrs. E that she will be having surgery for her adenoids, that she is very worried and that she and Mommy thought maybe talking to Mrs. E would be a good idea.  Rebecca gave the note to her teacher on Monday morning.  The teacher promised to put the note in Mrs. E's mail box, but explained that due to testing in another grade, Mrs. E might not be available to talk to Rebecca this week.

Well, Mrs. E came through - she had Rebecca come to her office this afternoon.  She reassured R that she will in fact fall asleep so she doesn't need to fear that.  They talked about other aspects of the surgery as well; it sounds like Mrs. E said many of the same things Jim and I have been telling Rebecca, but since the words came from her and not us, R is considering them differently.  That is fine with me; she's smart enough to know that her mom and dad want to comfort and protect her, and she sees Mrs. E as someone who will tell her the truth.  She said that at one point Mrs. E said something to the effect of "if I were your mom, I would tell you that this will all be over soon and it will all be fine."  So I said those words right back to Rebecca.  And I will keep saying them.

I realized that I do have fears that something might go wrong, not on a major scale, but some complication might happen, and because of that, maybe I haven't sounded as convincing as I should when discussing the surgery with my sweet ladybug.  Maybe some of my medical experiences are coloring my words and inflection; also, Rebecca has seen me through a lot of medical crap and knows that strange things can happen, like your incision can come open and cause you to have to have a wound packed. She did seem a lot more calm tonight, and didn't get teary talking about any of it.  

I'm so grateful to Mrs. E for helping Rebecca out, and I am extremely proud of my girl for asking for and receiving the help she needed.  I could do better at that myself, so will take a lesson from my sweet daughter.

2 comments:

sherri said...

I'm so glad you found something that might work. I was worried, after the fact of course, that my suggestion might offend you in that I wasn't being supportive enough of your efforts to complete this project with your daughter. That's not the case at all.

The counsel of Mrs. E sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Hopefully it will allay R's fears as well as your own. Good luck with the surgery and aftercare.

onesillymama said...

Oh not at all, Sherri... in this case it's more about the result than the process. And since 1) I don't sew and 2) R wanted to make the gown from baby washcloths, it would have been quite the sight!