Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bedside notes

Carly likes to climb into bed with Jim and me from time to time. Sometimes it will be several nights in a row, then she'll go a few weeks without a night time visit. When she was a toddler it was a pain because she would move around so much and end up perpendicular to us; she would be the only one sleeping comfortably on our king size bed.

On a recent Sunday morning, she came in shortly after dawn. It was the first morning after the time change so I think her bio-clock was a bit confused about the light peeking in from the edge of the blind on her bedroom window. We cuddled a little and fell back asleep, woke up and cuddled a bit more then dozed off again. When I awoke fully and sat up, I happened to look through the bedroom doorway. I could see Rebecca sitting at my computer desk in my office, writing on a square of paper from a memo pad I keep there. As I turned to get off the bed, I noticed two more squares of paper on my nightstand. As I picked them up, Rebecca walked in, gave me the paper she had just been writing on, and with a forlorn look, left the room. These are the notes she left:


I didn't know whether to cry, laugh or roll my eyes. So I did a little of all three, inwardly. To Rebecca I said that she can come and cuddle any time; I was cuddling with her sister because she had come into the bed. Rebecca doesn't visit us at night anymore - why would she when she has a full size bed to herself? But she now knows that she has a standing invitation.



3 comments:

Laurie said...

She's mastered guilt! I know you guys aren't Jewish. Catholic?

onesillymama said...

Yep... we're Catholic - the Christian side of Judeo-Christian guilt. :-)

Joannah said...

Oh, my goodness! Those are priceless. Reminds me of the time my niece was throwing a fit and she put a note under to the door to my sister and her husband. It said, "I feel like a roasted pig!" She was expressing her pain, but we couldn't help but laugh at her choice of words.

Kids. Gotta love them.