Friday, October 30, 2009

Yah, I'm lame...

... since I haven't been here in far too long. But no news is good news, I guess. I'm right back in the swing of things at work, and busy documenting the stuff I didn't document before I went on leave, as well as clarifying documentation that wasn't as clear as my coworkers needed it to be. If I am lucky enough to go back to OSU for round two, I will hopefully leave things in better shape than I did in September. It's not that I left things a mess, but I like to make it as easy as possible for them to keep up with my assignments.

Today one of my coworkers gave me a file of some info she thought I should have as backup, which is a good idea. She commented that when she was looking for similar stuff while I was on leave, she had a hard time finding anything. Later when I was looking for a file I realized just how crazy my file drawers look to other people, and indeed they are a mess. I made a mental note to spend a bit of time tomorrow getting rid of stuff and reorganizing a bit. So I found it amusing that tonight Google Reader recommended The Clutter Diet Blog and the entry that I opened to is titled "Oh, Goody! It's National Clean Out Your Files Month!" A sign for sure! The author is talking home files as well as work ones. Well, my home files are in a very sorry state, and the last two days of NCOYFM would only put a dent in what needs to be done. But I will now DEFINITELY get to work in my office tomorrow. I only have two file drawers, for cryin' out loud, so it shouldn't take that long to make it much nicer. So, that is my goal and pledge to you, my readers... that I accomplish something with this little project.

Lately I have actually had more energy to work on decluttering in our house, and on keeping up with house tasks in general. At times I will watch myself moving from one chore to another and think, wow, who is this fairly efficient person who hasn't retired to her PC yet? Real progress has yet to be made, except on our kitchen table, which was a paper/toy/odd-item-that-nobody-can-identify-the-source-of magnet. I got it clear down to the wood, which was then cleaned with Murphy's Oil Soap and we enjoyed our first clutter-free meal as a family in a while. There has been a bit of backsliding over the past two days but I plan to nip that this weekend. I will admit that the fair amount of stuff that was Jim's went into a box, but he dealt with that graciously. I have this crazy goal to get our first floor common areas all tidy enough that if someone drops by unannounced, I won't die of absolute mortification. Sadly that goal is a bit off, and I am kind of embarrassed to be admitting this here, but if I'm not going to be honest, then this isn't much of an outlet for me.

In a prior post, I mentioned that my bout with hyperthyroidism caused me to lose quite a bit of weight. As my appetite returned, I figured some weight would come back, and it did, about 6 lb or so. Even though I wasn't surprised, I was a bit dismayed, as the weight loss was a wonderful side effect. I now have several pairs of work pants that I can no longer wear. And I have been able to wear several items that looked horrible on me not long ago. So in a typical for me head-in-the-sand reaction, I avoided the scale for several days. I think I was afraid that seeing it go up would dishearten me to the point that I would give up altogether on trying to eat more healthfully. This morning I finally bit the bullet and climbed aboard the Tanita. Lo and behold, no horrible news awaited my downcast eyes; in fact great news did, as I am a pound down from my lowest weight of two weeks ago. AWESOMENESS! It would appear that mealtime portion control and once again quitting nighttime snacking (mostly) has paid its rewards.

So, this energy that has arrived in the wake of my incapacity has been good for me in several ways. I want and plan to get some exercise going on a regular basis. I can walk at lunchtime at work, or on the treadmill in our basement that right now holds boxes, or do a walking dvd. It is hard with my schedule to have a block of time to devote to exercise, so for the time being I am going to have to squeeze in little bits of it here and there.

My diet itself is more under my scrutiny than ever before. Several people have recommended the book Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber. He is a doctor and researcher who developed a brain tumor, and decided to research how he could boost his immune system to fight the cancer. I have owned the book for a few months but only recently picked it up to actually read, in my ostrich way. I have only read the first few chapters but have found it interesting reading. At this point I am not up to the food chapter, but I have skimmed it and while the information in it is not new, it resonates more than ever; maybe I am becoming more ready to embrace change? Maybe I am also scared that if I don't make some changes, I will certainly regret those decisions as they impact my health? Maybe a good dose of both. And I am certainly aware of the impact on the girls of me modeling healthy eating habits. Not that they may take hold any time soon, what with the utter pickiness that goes on at mealtime! But I will keep trying; I remember hating as a child a lot of things I like to eat now.

No comments: