Sunday, August 16, 2009

ACOR

ACOR stands for Association of Cancer Online Resources. According to their home page, "ACOR offers access to 159 mailing lists that provide support, information, and community to everyone affected by cancer and related disorders."

I first heard of ACOR several years ago when one of my online mommy friends faced the devastating news that her then-toddler son was diagnosed with neuroblastoma. The information she learned from fellow list members (mostly parents of other children with the same cancer) was invaluable, and she had a support network of people who truly understood what her family was going through. I am happy to say that her son came through his treatments and is cancer-free, which is miraculous as well as proof that scientific breakthroughs do work.

When I was first diagnosed with RCC, she recommended that I join a kidney cancer list on ACOR. I did, but I quickly changed my status to no-mail (where no messages came directly to my email even though I was still a member of the list) because I couldn't handle reading about the problems people were facing as they were at stage 4. Fast forward a few years and I found myself joining the stage 4 club, so I started receiving emails again. I have learned so much in a short time; the folks there are willing to share their experiences, as well as information they have learned. Without the list I probably wouldn't be considering HDIL-2. (Eight days until my appt at OSU!) And I have made friends on the list, wonderful people from all over the globe. Since kidney cancer isn't one of the more prevalent cancers out there (thank goodness for all of you) there aren't as many resources available as there are for the more diagnosed cancers. I am truly grateful for the list being there, and for all the people who keep ACOR alive.

I just learned that ACOR is in need of financial help. It's distressing to me to think that this organization could be in danger of not being there for people on those 159 lists. This morning I made a donation and so I am asking you all to do the same. In these tough times I know it's hard to find extra $$ but even a little bit will help. Their about page lets you know that if you are in the USA, they are a 501(c)3 organization (so save that receipt!) and has a donation link... or you can go directly to the donation page.

I don't like hitting my family and friends up for cash too often, but I feel very passionate about this particular cause. Thanks in advance for your support.

Update on me and life in general soon...

1 comment:

Joannah said...

It has been a valuable resource for us as well. I think they need a fundraising drive this fall.