Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First day of Kindergarten


Monday was Becky's first day of K. In the morning at home she was very excited; put on the new outfit and shoes that she had picked out herself when we went school shopping. The excitement continued when we got to school, but then as we went downstairs to take her to the cafeteria (it was breakfast time when we arrived), she started to get upset. It was so sad; she cried and held on to me and asked me to stay. She even followed me out of the cafeteria. Luckily the pre-K class that she just left last week, was in the adjoining play area. Her old teacher saw the scene and took her back to the cafeteria. It was heartbreaking to see my baby's pleading, tear-filled eyes, but I knew I had to go.

When I picked the girls up that afternoon, Becky proclaimed school to be "great"! She enjoyed her day very much. The thing she loved the most was having her own desk; when I got to her room she proudly showed me her name on the desk and all of her supplies stored in it. The next day Jim dropped the girls off and Becky was fine; she showed him her desk and then lined up with the class for breakfast.

Today was her first day of actual class. She told me that she is excited about having homework, and going to gym class! Jim was running late this morning so I took the girls to school; Becky looked a little sad as I left but she told us last night that she won't be crying any more. I hope that is true. Through all of this, Carly is her own confident self; swaggering into her room each day with enthusiasm.

This photo shows me a glimpse of the young lady my first baby is becoming...

6 comments:

Pollyanna said...

She looks so grown up! Sweet. What pretty little girls you have. I hate the first part of school when they aren't quite sure. But you know they will love it. Heartbreaking for sure.

sherri said...

Becky looks so grown up! Despite her rocky start I'm not surprised to hear that she enjoyed her first day of K.

Bec said...

Becky looks so grown up! I hope she is settling in well to Kindergarten after the rough start.

Jacqueline said...

she is PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! *beautiful*!!!

Natalie said...

My gosh, yes, it is one of those pictures that give you a glimpse of things to come. Those pictures always give me shivers - in a good way - there always seems to be a bit of magic in them, too.

I'm glad that things are getting better at school. It sure can be rough, those first days - for mama and for 'baby', too.

Will Monahan said...

I hope Becky had a great first day in Kindergarten and continues to have a great year.