Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Seeing nature

As I walked back to my office from the kitchenette, holding a mug of coffee, I glanced out the window and was surprised to see a pair of hawks sitting on the ledge. They were brown with reddish heads, and both were perched on the ledge that juts out from our floor. We're on the fourth floor so they're up a bit, and the wind ruffled their feathers. They looked around calmly, and stayed in place until I moved toward the doorway to my corridor. That caused one to take flight, circling above the building and out to the side; I could see his shadow. The other hawk waited a moment, then joined his buddy. If I'd had my camera in my pocket I would have taken a photo.
I love being able to see something natural in our sea of gray walls, glass, fluorescent lights and noise abatement. (For those of you unfamiliar, a noise abatement system is "white noise" broadcast throughout a building so that you don't notice your cube mates' voices and other sounds as much. It makes a big difference when you are in an open area.) At our former location, we saw deer all the time; I miss them. Here I am up so high that even if there are ground animals nearby, I can't really see them. Instead, I have a good view of the freeway.

2 comments:

Pollyanna said...

Fun to see you posting. I'm loving the picture of you and the girls! Their matching dresses are adorable!!

Wow! Hawks. That is so cool. Makes me want to carry my camera around all the time to get images of stuff like that...'cept I doubt I'd see a hawk right here. I'll just have to imagine what yours were like

onesillymama said...

I tried to find a picture of them online but haven't been sucessful. They may not even be hawks though I'm pretty sure they were.