Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Forty two

I celebrated my 42nd birthday on Monday. My "advancing" age doesn't really bother me per se, but it does prickle at me in various small ways. Every so often when taking a survey or something like that where I have to put myself in an age range, I realize that I'm not in the "30s" ranges anymore. We have a lot of younger employees in my area these days too, and I am now old enough to be their mother, which amuses me. Speaking of motherhood, I am an "old" mommy to be having young children. So far it hasn't been an issue but I wonder sometimes how the age gap will affect us as the children grow up. I get a pang sometimes, wondering if I will get to see my grandchildren, but I have to force those pangs to bounce off me and disappear to keep from feeling too sad about it.

I was telling Jim the other night that most of the time I don't "feel" like an adult. It seems to me that I should feel older and more mature, or settled, or something. Jim had an interesting take on this, which I agree with. When we were kids, our parents weren't all as involved in pop culture, weren't as in tune with what the "youngsters" were doing. So there definitely seemed like there was a generation gap. I like that idea; makes me feel less like I'm an emotionally stunted loser. :-)

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

hey - Happy birthday to another 1964 gal! I'm still waiting for you to post your "big news". Was this it?

Regina said...

As a 39 yr old mom of a 19 month old - I am right there with ya! 40 is just around the corner. And I know what you mean - I don't feel what I always imagined 40 should feel.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! I hope you had a great day.

HUGS!

Natalie said...

I am ROTFLOL at your last sentence; oh my gosh, I can so relate! I'm surely too late to send birthday wishes, but I hope it was wonderful and that you have many, many more to come.