Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sore to the core, but okay

The next step is over now; I've had the biopsy. It went as expected, though I'm sore and tired now. When we arrived at the hospital in the morning, the first challenge was finding a vein for an IV line. I have notoriously shy veins, so I am used to being poked more than once and having blood drawn anywhere between my elbows and knuckles. Today they got me by my right wrist, on the second poke. I have to say, the nurse was good, because right now I only have two tiny pink marks with no bruising. Since I bruise very easily, this is a tribute to Nurse Dee Dee and her venipuncture skills!

We went back to the CT room where we met Dr. Mohammed who explained the procedure. They used the CT to locate the nodule, numbed my skin and went in with a needle. He told us there is a 15% chance of a pneumothorax. All my years of ER watching didn't educate me on that term, so I learned that is a collapsed lung. That kind of knocked me for a loop.

I said goodbye to Jim and sent him off to work for a couple of hours, and they began. It went well, but when they got to the lung and nodule, it was just like when I had the kidney biopsied - major pain. At first I thought I must be feeling my lung collapse but they kept saying I was doing really well. The whole procedure took less than 45 min then I went to the recovery room for about 2 hours. I got some Tylenol and hurt a fair amount, but fell asleep for about an hour and felt better afterward. At about noon they paged Jim and sent me for a chest xray. Xray was behind as usual; it was great to have Jim there to talk to. All over the Clinic they have TVs, mostly all tuned to CNN. (Oddly, the TV in the CT scan waiting room is not, but that is unusual.) While I was waiting, CNN International was on, discussing issues related to today being Refugee Day. I am certainly sympathetic to these problems, but was having a hard time watching the images, and wished they would just shut off the flatscreen in the xray waiting area. I finally got in and it was confirmed that my lung was okay. Jim and I went to the cafeteria for lunch, then walked to meet his dad's car, as Dad had offered to pick me up so Jim wouldn't have to take more time. That was a long, slow walk. While walking we met a friend of mine from work, D, so now she knows what's going on... I haven't told everyone yet, until I know more.

I got home around 3 and was asleep by 3:30, getting about a 2 1/2 hour nap. I'm up now so I'll be awake and aware when everyone gets home. Tonight is Becky's gym class so Jim picked up both girls, took them for something to eat, then straight to class. I'm really looking forward to everyone being home.

They told me it takes 3-5 days to get the biopsy results, so I'll call my nurse on Friday, and will of course let everyone know what we learn. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and PVs; they are so appreciated.

6 comments:

barbara said...

Continued prayers for you, Liz. I was thinking about you all day!

sherrimc99 said...

PVs continue for you Liz. I hope your soreness abates and good news comes your way. As always, I remain amazed by your grace and attitude in this situation.

Jacqueline said...

Liz - ((((((((hugs))))))))

You are in my constant thoughts...

Jacqueline said...

(((((((((hugs)))))))) to you Liz.

You are in my constant thoughts...

patience said...

Hopefully all news will be good news!

Sharon S. said...

Hi Liz: So glad to hear from Lisa the results of your test. She keeps me up-to-date on your beautiful girls and what is happening in your life. Mom H. and I send our continued prayers and thoughts and know everything will be fine. Take care! Sharon (Lisa's sister)